Saturday, June 15, 2013

The sharpest knife in the drawer ... and something to do with it

Patrick RomeroThe sharpest knife in the drawer at my house is the one that I took to the farmer's market today to have sharpened.

Patrick Romero has no website nor business cards.  He just shows up at the Farmer's market twice a week and works his magic to make knives and scissors and tools sharp again. He also makes custom knives and tools.

This morning I remembered to take my big kitchen knife with me to the market. Until now, it was well used and definitely NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Next I'll be taking my Dovo scissors.

Cutting–fabric or vegetables–is so much easier and more pleasant when our tools are sharp.  Most of my knives in the kitchen are 30 years old or older–purchased when I lived and worked in Europe and they are still going strong.

Lately, I've been making a lot of this salad–Hail to the Kale.  You can follow the link for the recipe (the photo also comes from there) or watch the video below.

It has a creamy, sweet and tangy sauce which is poured over the kale and then massaged in by using a curved blade like an Alaskan Ulu or a mezzaluna to cut the kale and mix things up ...

Which was my excuse for buying a new contender for sharpest knife in the drawer, this mincing knife.

Added to my rationalization was the great price I found for one online ... darn that internet :-)

Here's the video where I first found Hail to the Kale.


Like the Chef and the Dietitian in the video,  I often enjoy this salad for breakfast.

This weekend's theme for the Block Lotto weekend update linky party is sharing something UN-quilty, so I'm linking this post.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Thanks for the link to the kale salad recipe. If you lived close to me, you'd have a free supply of kale. My husband planted six plants each of three types of kale. We give away a bunch and still can't eat it all. I just finished making up a salad of it for dinner, but I'll definitely try out your recipe later in the week. The sugar snap peas and zucchini are about to start producing, and I'm looking forward to something to eat in addition to our daily ration of kale and swiss chard!!

Best wishes, Kathie L in Allentown

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Hi Sophie. Well one day I think we might run into each other. I only go to the Santa Fe Farmer's Market a couple of times a year because we live 50 minute drive from there. I went to the Fiber Arts Fiesta on a different day than you did.

Just wondering how your Bernina machine is doing? Did you get her fixed okay?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...