Saturday, June 08, 2013

Seasonal Shift

Juice!Is there something in our DNA that makes our tastes change with the season? Maybe it's a nature-nuture question.  Whatever is behind it, I am noticing some seasonal shifts within me.   It's not even hot yet, but I don't feel like cooking and nothing appeals as much as fresh juice to start the day. I am still a fan of Green Lemonade, but this morning I made Super Red Beta-Carrot Juice, which is becoming another favorite.  Here's what's in the glass:

1 apple
1 beetroot
2 small carrots
2 celery sticks
1/2 lemon
a small slice of ginger

When I found green garlic at the farmer's market earlier this week, I knew I'd be making Edamame and Asparagus salad with Green Garlic.  I found this (uncredited) photo on Pinterest ... I have to pick up some fennel today so I can make mine.

I don't think it's just about what's fresh now; some foods I love in summer never appeal in winter.

Around the house, I keep pulling out the white/light stuff like the cutwork table cover on the dining table above, and this old fashioned scrappy quilt that's back on my bed.


Scrappy Quilt and New Pillow Shams

I also keep thinking I need to make some pretty light, white curtains for that room.

It may not always seem like it outside, but my body is telling me that summer is here.

Are you feeling the seasonal shift?

5 comments:

Terri said...

Oh Yes! we are ahead of you here in CA so we have fresh strawberries right from the fruit stand (with the strawberries growing right behind). Those are the best! Cherries have been in season here, too. I only got 10 off my tree this year, so I bought frozen... not as good. Thanks for the recipe.
Hugs

Kate North said...

Everything is so late here due to the bad weather - we are all desperate for summer. This week has been better... Your salad looks lovely - I will have to put that on my to-try list...

Unknown said...

While your summer is late, our winter has been slow in coming, not a bad thing except we desperately need rain. I try to have a morning juice every day, I love green juice but usually have whatever I have on hand. It seems to start my day off on a good note.

Anonymous said...

I don't feel it, but I have a friend who only cooks certain things during certain times of the year. She insists some things are only for winter meals and some things are only for other seasons.

Bridget said...

Yep, I have been cleaning to beat the band this past week up here in Mora County. I've also been sitting outside on the porch, enjoying the weather.

I'd put the springtime flowers quilt on the bed but the dog and cat would just get it dirty. Drat.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...