Monday, June 08, 2015

Hexies

Hexagons are appearing on all kinds of quilts in unexpected ways. Here are a few examples from Fiber Arts Fiesta.

The first place winner for Small Innovative Pieced and/or Appliquéd quilts is Revisiting Grandmother's Flower Garden by Donice Wagner.

Revisiting Grandma's Flower Garden by Donice Wagner

The hexies and other shapes that make up these flowers are three dimensional.  And look ... more tiny buttons among the embellishments ... and it's hand-quilted.

Revisiting Grandma's Flower Garden by Donice Wagner - DetailRevisiting Grandma's Flower Garden by Donice Wagner - Detail

Another quilt with hexagons was another of the modern quilts in the special exhibit Best Of QuiltCon - Geometric Rainbow by Nicole Daksiewicz

Geometric Rainbow by Nicole Daksiewicz

The hexagons in this quilt–one in each color of Kaufman's Kona Cotton–appear to be attached only by the quilting lines that travel through them. 

Geometric Rainbow by Nicole Daksiewicz - Detail

This is another of the modern quilts from QuiltCon that I was glad to see in person and it was interesting to see how it was made.

I applaud the innovation of both these quilts, but wonder how well the hexies on either quilt would survive a wash cycle and how they will look 100 years from now?

In the Medium Art Quilt category, there were more hexies, made from the quilter's hand-dyed fabrics and combined with vintage lace and mono-printed fabric. This is Carol Johnson's quilt, In Full Bloom. 

In Full Bloom by Colleen Konetzni

I love the mix of traditional pieced blocks, cool patterned fabrics and those dyed bits of lace.

In Full Bloom by Colleen Konetzni - Detail

3 comments:

Helen Wahl said...

For some reason I really like hexies....it's not really my style but somehow they are fun.....like yoyos. If I could I would just sit and keep making them.....I just don't use them once I make them. I am surprised my mother hasn't seen the lace yet. She really likes lace and quilts.

Angie in SoCal said...

Beautiful examples of new workings of hexagons. Thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

And I love the quilting on that last one, too. I had no idea when I saw the Quilt Con picture of that quilt that the pieces weren't pieced in! Thanks for sharing these three lovelies and the details about them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...