Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Do you have a favorite part of quilt making?

One of my favorite thingsI enjoy almost all of the aspects of quilting, but I was thinking today that I especially enjoy squaring and trimming the quilt, after the quilting is done.

I don't know why I decided to quilt and bind the banner I made for the Block Lotto group blog. The only practical use I can imagine for this quilted object is as a too-long too-skinny table runner to use when friends from the Block Lotto are in town.

I used a 4" border quilting template even though the top border is only 2". Initially, I was only going to use that template on the side and bottom borders, but I ended up fitting and editing the design around the letters at the top. It was actually fun and worked quite well.

Quilt Design DetailI haven't yet chosen a fabric for the binding. My initial feeling is a blue plaid, cut on the bias . . . I wonder if I'll find any among my plaid fabrics?

Here's a detail of the quilting design. I also outlined the letters.

I know I have a quilt top waiting to be quilted for which I planned to use this dogwood flower border. Maybe it's time to put that together?

. . . but back to my question. Do you have a favorite step in quilting? Choosing color palette or fabrics? Designing? Piecing (or appliquéing) the blocks? Assembling the top? Or something else?

9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I especially like sitting down with applique and "making the picture" I love seeing it come together.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

floribunda said...

Definitely, choosing the fabrics is my favorite part -- I just love messing with color! I like piecing, too (most of the time). I hate the process of sewing rows together, though -- boooooring. And I actually like sewing the binding down, unlike some folks!

Kathryn said...

I like the piecing of blocks and then squaring them up. After that, I have to push myself to get them into rows, columns, and quilted.
Kathie L in Allentown

Trudi said...

All of it! I love playing with colours and choosing the fabrics, and all the 'what if's', the piecing and seeing how thos blocks shape up, the satisfaction of squaring up, laying them out to find a pleasing layout, piecing it into a top. Oh, and then the dilema of how to quilt it, the quilting, the squaring up and adding the binding, but mostly, I love sewing down the binding by hand and the finishing!

The quilting on your little skinny quilt is wonderful!

sophie said...

I confess that I don't like the layering and basting much, nor marking the quilt design, but I love all the rest of it, too.

lj_cox said...

Hmm, hmm. I think design is probably my favorite part, choosing fabrics and planning. After that comes applique and putting things up on the design wall and seeing them come together. It's really a thrill when things look as good in fabric as they did in your head. Judging by the stack of quilt tops, actual quilting is definitely not a fav.

Rian said...

Tht is way cute, Sophie, and the quilting is lovely. Choosing fabrics would be my favorite part of the process. And with the way I work, I'm choosing fabrics all the way to the end. Like paint. It's all good.

free indeed said...

My favorite part hands down is sewing down the binding by hand! I love having the almost finished quilt draped across my lap working on the binding....that feeling of done is just around the cornor. I HATE the basting...

Goblinf said...

I've not really done enough to be able to tell, but in crafting generally I really like finishing something and thinking, yes it's done now I can use it/ give it away. And it's very rare!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...