Saturday, January 16, 2010

Four Years Ago

Four years ago Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, on her blog the Yarn Harlot, organized a great event for knitters–the Knitting Olympics. Knitters across blogland, including me, decided on a project for themselves that they would begin during the opening ceremonies and complete before the end of the 2006 Olympics.

I joined a local team and met a couple of local knitters and enjoyed the real life company of other Olympian bloggers. I completed the cabled shrug on the left and was awarded the medal on the right for my accomplishment.


I woke up this morning wondering if the Knitting Olympics would be revived for the 2010 Winter Olympics. The recent cold weather in Dallas has me wanting to get back to knitting and what could be better than a quick project feverishly knit over a fortnight while watching the Olympics that are just around the corner?

Because I've fallen behind on the knitters' blogs I follow, I was hoping that if I went searching, I'd find it fully launched and lots of buzz . . . but it seems that the knitters on Ravelry have taken the Yarn Harlot's concept and are running with it.

I do have a Ravelry account, but I'm just not (yet?) entrenched enough to join them there. So it seems my own Olympic knitting this year will be a solo event.

I'm thinking my project may be what my hairdresser described as the way to dress in Winter in Dallas: a short-sleeved wool sweater. I have some wool that's been languishing in my yarn stash for far too long . . . now I just need to get busy swatching and decide on a design.

5 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

I am just learning to knit and started a little sweater for the Afghans for Afghans winter collection. If it would count, I would be glad to knit along with you for the Knitting Olympics.

I know that Barbara Curiel usually has something on her knitting needles so she might like to knit along too. You could ask her.

Barbara C said...

I hate to do things on deadline, so I've avoided joining any of the Ravelry teams, but maybe I'll cast on a vest for the Knitting Olympics. I'm finishing up a sweater I've been dithering over for months, so the challenging is coming at just the right time.

I'm very impressed with your medal.

sophie said...

I wasn't sure I still had the medal image. I must have held onto it because I was so impressed with the design.

Mary Johnson said...

I usually have a binding Olympics -- I'll try to get as many tops quilted between now and then so I can work on the hand stitching while I'm watching.

sophie said...

Mary, that's a BRILLIANT idea. I was thinking last night that I might need more than one project and I like the binding idea a lot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...