Saturday, November 17, 2007

Quilts, Large and Small

Autumn Leaves

This quilt, Autumn Leaves, made by Judith Day of Lindfield, NSW, Australia, is based on a popular kit quilt design from the 1930's. What you cannot tell from the photo is that this quilt is a miniature. Looking at my photos of the Miniature category of Quilts: A World of Beauty at the International Quilt Festival in Houston, the only indication of the true scale comes when a ribbon is included. Below is Tapestree, a wonderful quilt by Pat Holly of Muskegon, Michigan. It is inspired by antique embroidery.

Tapestree

Pat and her sister, Sue Nichols, were on my flight home; I wanted to catch up with them in baggage claim to tell Pat how much I enjoyed her tiny little quilt . . . but it was another one for the miss column. I was so happy that my bag was one of the first to appear and so tired and anxious to get on the road for the hour and a half drive home that I grabbed it and immediately headed for the parking shuttle bus instead.

Here are photos of some of the other wonderful Miniatures from Quilts: A World of Beauty in Houston. Click the thumbnails for a larger image and information about the maker.

Twinkle, Twinkle . . . Shadowland All Colours Are of God Fantasy of Emile Galle Tenacious Fan Dance Carnivale

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...